Saturday Requests

Nancy asked for my banana bread recipe, so here it is, adapted slightly from the Moosewood Cookbook:

1 ½ c butter or margarine (I substitute oil here)

1 ¾ c packed brown sugar

4 eggs

3 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp grated orange rind

4 cups flour (I use whole wheat)

1 tsp salt

1 Tbs baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

½ tsp nutmeg

2 tsp cinnamon

2 cups pureed ripe banana soaked in 1 cup (real or decaf) strong coffee

1 c chocolate chips (or however many to taste)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Beat together butter and sugar. Add eggs one a time beating well after each. Once mixture is fluffy add vanilla and orange rind.
  3. Stir together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients and banana & coffee mixture alternately, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips at end. Don't overmix.
  5. Spread batter evenly is two greased standard size loaf pans. Bake 40-50 minutes. Try and let cool an hour (good luck!) before slicing.

Mariam had asked a week or so ago for pictures of the dogs. The fluffy one is 8 and is a border collie / shepherd / akita mix. He is hyper, still acts 2. He listens to me sometimes, when he feels like, and understands full sentences and complex rules (but may choose to ignore these). The short-haired is 7 and is a shepherd /akita / rotweiler mix. She is a real sweetheart, loves people, is obedient when by herself, but hates to be by herself. She mourned for a week when the other went to the field and she didn't, happy only once he returned. He could care less. I love them!

2 Comments:

  1. mariam said...
    Awww, so sweet! Thank you! I really do love dogs but I know it's best for them if I'm not their human :)

    The girl sounds so sweet, and the boy sounds... typical, lol.

    They must be great friends :)
    Anonymous said...
    Thanks for the recipe!
    I'm going to make it tomorrow morning - rumour has it, we'll have snow in Vancouver, perfect for baking (a rare moment in my life).

    Also, enjoyed the dog photos. I have 2 daschunds who just plain make my life better.

    I'll let you know how the banana-with-chocolate bread turns out!

Post a Comment




Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.