Bloody expensive cell phones

Our cell phone budget is $70. Prior to the past 2 months we had been managing to stay within budget. But then we both started travelling, and groan... the bills have more than doubled because of overage fees! November's bill is $166! As work picks up I am finding that when I am away from home I am still working on other non-field related projects, and using my cell to do business.

But this is money that should be going towards debt and Christmas savings. I need to look into other plans. My other thought recently was that I should buy a headset so I can use Skype when I am away because most places have internet now, and cell coverage is still pretty crappy. Any thoughts? Anyone use Skype with any success regularly?

If I do that then I also may need to be more vigilant and not answering my phone when it is convenient, and wait until I can get to the computer. I should in general, let the cell go to message, and then listen to the message to determine whether or not it requires answering.

4 Comments:

  1. JW said...
    I'm still trying to remember how we did it without a cell phone.

    It is amazing how the marketing gurus have managed to make us think it is a necessity to have.
    Anonymous said...
    I use skype almost daily, I have no landline and rarely use a cellphone for anything other than texting and emergencies. I've been using skype for about 4 years and only once have I had a problem, their service was down for about 36-48 hours a few months ago, we all got extra credit to make up for it though. You can pick up a pretty reasonable headset for about $20 in f*t*reshop.
    Looby
    krystalatwork said...
    Yikes, $166 is a huge phone bill!!

    I've never used Skype before, but when I was living away from home, I just bought a headset and chatted to my friends/family through MSN or AIM. I could also use my webcam which was cool. It was a pain not to be able just to pick up a phone and make a call, but I got used to it after a while.
    SavingDiva said...
    I have a few friends that use Skype. They're foreign, so calls home are expensive. They're really happy with the service...

Post a Comment




Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.