Happy Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day everyone! The weather has been a bit crazy here for a long weekend in the summer. One minute we have a torrential downpour and the next the sun comes out and steams it all away. Mr Wooly and I went out the westcoast of the island yesterday though and enjoyed several hours of sunshine on the beach. It was warm enough we could have swam I think!

Because it is summer I have been out in my garden a lot, and I realized last week that the vegetable garden is one area where we save money (which offsets the landscaping planting I have done). We don't have a large yard at all, but I have made a square 6' x 6' bed in one corner. I have planted: lettuce/greens, radishes, beets, squash, cucumbers, broccoli, kale, tomatoes, peppers, beans and peas. We have been eating greens and radishes, and the peas are almost ready. Our garden has cost more this year than it will next because we did buy some topsoil, but from now on I am going to keep adding with compost and free or cheap cow manure from local farms. Seeds are cheap, and I save any leftover seed from year to year.

Also, in the rest of the garden I have strawberries and raspberries. The berry plants have some fruit this year but will be better next year, in year 2. We have a peach tree and an apple tree, both with lots of fruit, despite a cold spring.

Last year a friend and I were lucky to be offered free pears from someone. We picked the pears in an afternoon and then canned them up and made pear sauce. I also made lots of apple sauce and apple juice. This year I also want to see if I can buy a flat of strawberries to freeze, and I may be able to freeze raspberries from my parents garden since they never eat them all.

As the markets fill up with fresh, local, and inexpensive produce I try to buy a little extra each time to put away for the winter. It takes a little extra work, but not only will it save us money on groceries over the next year, it is healthier for us too.

1 Comment:

  1. Louise said...
    The garden vegie patch is a good idea, and home grown stuff tastes better! years ago when we built our house I planned for a vegie garden but it needs to be resurrected. Something I'm planning for this coming spring.

Post a Comment




Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.