Which stocks would you pick?

I have signed up for the Financial Post's Stockstar Challenge. It is a free online challenge where you sign up and are given $100,000 in play money to invest. The stocks are real, it is like you are playing the stock market with none of the risk.

I started a few days ago, and have made a few thousand dollars. Not bad considering I don't know what I am doing, and the stock market is down again today. Of course, some people have $800,000 in their portfolio now, they are obviously much better stock pickers than I!

I thought I would share what I have bought and why, and ask others what they would recommend for me to try (risk free!!!).
1. Apple - Vista is soooooo bad, I think Mac is gaining ground, and the ipod just rocks.
2. Microsoft - despite its troubles today it seems to be gaining ground
3. Potash Corp. - finanical news says this company which produces fertilizers is doing well
4. Suncor - this is an oil company in Alberta, and I don't think the oil sand boom is over, just slowing
5. WalMart, Costco and Canadian Tire - because in these times of financial woe, these guys are going to be busy
6. Tim Horton's - just to see - the drive thru is always busy here
7. Verizon Wireless - these guys have a great network and passable customer service, and I wanted a cell company
8. Johnson and Johnson and BMO - the financial bloggers have had success with these
9. AIG - because it was a BARGAIN and is getting bailed out
10. Wachovia - because today it was gaining rapidly

So there you go, kind of random, and definitely more random than if it was MY $100k.

3 Comments:

  1. JW said...
    I would buy Ford stock at $2.03.

    Ford Motor will never fail.
    jpkittie said...
    too funny - my suggestion is ford as well...
    Erica Smith said...
    Hi,

    This is Erica Smith, owner of some quality financial websites having strong internet presence,high traffic and good quality content. As I found your website is very much relevant to my one, I'd like to have you as my link partner.

    I have few other finance blogs(with good pr) to link back to your website. I have several brand new finance related article(250-300 words) which I wish to post in your site.

    All the websites of mine are frequently cached and the articles get updated almost every week.

    If you agree to do link exchange with me, then both of our sites will be benefited in terms of visitors and ranking.

    Have a nice day.

    regards,
    Erica Smith
    ericasmith568(at)gmail(dot)com

Post a Comment




Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.