Bought a computer

I am still writing my arbitrage post, I know you all are on the edge of your seats waiting for it :):) I don't know what I was thinking- when we were away doing field work last week it was all we could do every night was drag our butts home, eat, and then fall into bed. Trekking to a coffee shop to get internet access was just too much work. Had a good time though, getting to spend 9 days in the bush with Mr W and the dogs. Pretty time of year when the trees are starting to turn at high elevations. And we got our contract done, thank goodness!

Today I bought a new laptop from Dell, called a Vostro. I cannot wait until it arrives, but it is on back order. I choose the 17" screen, and made sure it had enough RAM and hard drive space for all my mapping and processing needs. I decided to lease the computer through the business because I can write off the lease payments as an expense at tax time. Leasing still is making me a bit anxious, probably because it seems like a loan (well it is). There are several pros though: it is a business lease (not personal), tax write offs, and not tying up business cash. The cons are that I am paying more for the machine over 3 years than if I bought it outright, and at the end of it if I want to keep it I still have to buy it at fair market value.

I'll let you know, maybe at the end of the 3 year period I may regret my decision, but I hope not. And for the next little while I am going to be blinded by the beauty and power of the new machine. My existing computer is 5 years old, and likes to randomly shut itself off throughout the day (every single day). She's had a hard life and it is time to let her have a more restful life as a backup storage system.

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    lol - isn't there a Law of the Universe that one need never justify money spent on gorgeous little pieces of geekery? Mine was a mac. 3 months later, I'm still in love.
    Anonymous said...
    I would cancel this ASAP! DELL sucks now, go with HP, dell is not reliable anymore.
    mariam said...
    I have a Dell and I love it. But I am also extremely shallow and I paid $200 extra for it to be in red :P I figure I'm going to use it for 5 years, might as well like the look of it ;)
    SavingDiva said...
    I'm thinking about purchasing a new laptop too...I'm not sure that I want to go with dell...it is cheaper, but I don't know if the horrible customer service is worth it.

Post a Comment




Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.